Category Archives: Uncategorized

Uninsured Chidlren Numbers Increase

According to an article in today’s Salt Lake Tribune, more and more children in the U.S. are uninsured. The Deseret News, in its article today on the same issue, has a chart on the statistics.

More than half of America’s 9 million uninsured children live in two-parent families, a new analysis of 2005 U.S. census data show. And in most of these two-parent families, both parents work. In Utah, a whopping 91 percent of an estimated 88,458 uninsured kids have at least one working parent.

Low-income families – those with incomes at twice the federal poverty level, or up to $33,200 for a family of three – are still most at risk. In Utah, 65 percent of uninsured kids fall in this category, the report shows. But “increasingly, this is a problem for the middle-class,” said Judi Hilman, executive director of the Utah Health Policy Project.

The Governor of Utah is proposing a mandate that all children in Utah have health insurance.
Under the plan, parents would be required to enroll their kids in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) if they qualify. This would take a big bite out of Utah’s uninsured, at least 52,000 youth.

But mandated coverage won’t work for everyone until private insurers offer affordable plans for middle-income families, says Hilman. “How can you mandate something that’s not affordable?”

My point exactly. Having been in uninsured situations before (with small children) I can attest first hand at how discriminatory and sometimes unattainable our current system is with regards to health care. Families either go without insurance or go in debt if health care is needed.

What’s wrong with this picture? Health care is a basic need. As are food, water, and education. When these needs are not provided or made unattainable a dominoe effect occurs. Lack of health care and food affect young people’s ability to concentrate in school. And we know what happens then (see my article below on No Child Left Behind and Utah’s schools). The “greatest country on earth” is failing to provide these basic human needs to a siginicantly large portion of our population.

Utah’s Children Being Left Behind

Even though Utah’s education officials have created what are considered more stringent testing standards than the federal mandate under the No Child Left Behind Act, Utah schools have fallen behind in performance.

More Utah schools have stumbled in their effort to meet federally mandated No Child Left Behind (NCLB) education standards, according to 2005-2006 data released Thursday. Continue reading

This week’s Salt Lake City Weekly has a feature article on Bruce Funk, the former Emery County Clerk. Funk continues to be a voice against inadequate voting machines and for voting integregity.

This March, Funk became the nation’s second county election official to test the new wave of vote-by-computer machines by bringing in computer technicians to try to hack one. A few weeks later, Funk was out on his ear. Depending on whom you believe, he either resigned in frustration or was maneuvered out of the office to which he was so often re-elected he’s lost count of how many terms he served.

Earlier this month, Funk brought a case against Emery County to get copies of the minutes from a closed-door meeting Emery County Commissioners held in late March with representatives of the lieutenant governor, who is the state’s top election official, and representatives of Diebold, the company that sold Utah its new voting machines. After the off-the-books session, Funk was called in by commissioners and—he claims—bullied into resigning. Funk quickly thought better and informed commissioners he would be staying to finish out his term, but locks were changed and the Emery County Republican Party was asked to select a replacement.

Funk feels certain if the minutes and recordings of the hush-hush meetings were unsealed, they would show the maker of voting equipment conniving with state politicians to get rid of an elected county official who raised uncomfortable questions—confirming some of the worst fears of conspiracy theorists.

Fueling the conspiracy fire, the Utah State Records Committee denied Funk’s request, ruling the meetings for which Funk wanted records were properly closed to the public.

PFS is still hoping for site in Utah

Private Fuel Storage Chairman John Parkyn is still holding out for an interim nuclear waste storage site in Utah, according to a Deseret News article this morning.

Parkyn will not release any details on his “plans”.

The article also mentions the proposal of the Nuclear Energy Institute, the nuclear industry’s lobbying organization, to offer tens of millions of dollars, increasing as time progresses, to state sthat is approved to host an interim storage site.

The waste needs to stay in the state in which it is generated. The problems inherent with sending nuclear waste to other states are monumental (e.g., accident/exposure risk), not to mention the fact that states such as Utah don’t want the waste.


Marshall Thompson of A Soldier’s Peace who also table at the Imagine Peace Festival last weekend, was interviewed by Amy Goodman on Monday. The interview appeared on today’sDemocracy Now!.

Army reservist Sergeant Marshall Thompson spent a year in Iraq working as a military journalist. He reported from across Iraq, interviewing thousands of US soldiers. Now back home in his native Utah, he is planning a 500-mile walk across the state to protest the war and call for a withdrawal of US troops. [includes rush transcript]

His goal is to walk from the Utah/Idaho border to the Utah/Arizona border in 26 days, that’s one day for every 100 soldiers who have died in Iraq. He’ll have to average about 20 miles a day.

I spoke with Sergeant Marshall Thompson on Monday in Salt Lake City in his first national broadcast interview. He began by talking about why he was planning the walk.

League of Women Voters Questionnaire

I just completed the 2006 League of Women Voters Online Candidate Questionnaire. Here are the questions and my answers (I kept my answers as brief as possible):

Candidate Background Information:
Occupation:

Continue reading

Photos of Imagine Peace Festival


Continue reading

Yesterday’s Imagine Peace Festival

The very first ever Imagine Peace Festival, created by Pom Poms Not Bomb Bombs, Utah’s Radical Cheerleaders, was a huge success. The weather was perfect and the event ran without any “glitches”. There was something for everyone. For the academically-oriented, there were discussions. For the visual, there were films and art displays. For those that enjoy the auditory satisifaction of art, there was music. For the kinesthetic, there were art activities. We repeatedly heard from our participants and festival goers how meaningful, well organized, and fun this event was.

ABC Channel 4 showed up with a camera and took footage of the events and did an interview with me but I don’t see where they showed it.

I heard from one organization who tabled that they had never before been able to have such an opportunity to dialogue with the public about peace.

We are already talking about next year’s 2nd Annual Imagine Peace Festival.

Organizations that tabled yesterday were:
Continue reading

Imagine Peace Festival Today

Saturday, September 23

Outdoor Plaza
Tabling, music (in the amphitheater), information

4th Floor Conference Room
noon to 5:00pm ~ Art Display
2:00 pm ~ Feminist Symposium: “Women and Men Dialogue on Building Community”

Auditorium
12:00 noon ~ Opening Remarks
12:10 ~ One Voice Children’s Choir
12:45 ~ “Hiroshima no Pika” – 15 min animated version of a book for kids about the Hiroshima bombing
1:00 ~ “Radio Burundi” 15 min film about Burundi peace radio
1:30 ~ “Spiritual Motivations for World Peace” – panel discussion
3:00 ~ Film “Voices in Wartime”
4:30 ~ Utah Slammers – poetry

Amphitheater
(All artists’ CD’s will be available as thank you gifts at the information booth)
12noon -12:10:Opening – Pom Poms Not Bomb Bombs
12:15 to 1:00:Andy Monaco
1:15 to 2:00: Leraine Hortsmanshoff
2:15 to 3:00:Gary Stoddard
3:15pm -4:00:Adeitia
4:15-4:30:Scott Fife
4:45pm -5:30:Trace Wiren
5:40-5:55:Pom Poms Not Bomb Bombs

U.S. has ordered ships to Iran

Grave news: The Pentagon has ordered a major “strike group” of ships to head for the Persian Gulf, just off Iran’s western coast.
The fleet includes the nuclear aircraft carrier Eisenhower as well as a cruiser, destroyer, frigate, submarine escort and supply ship.

This is serious.

According to Lieut. Mike Kafka, a spokesman at the headquarters of the Second Fleet, based in Norfolk, Virginia, the Eisenhower Strike Group, bristling with Tomahawk cruise missiles, has received recent orders to depart the United States in a little over a week. Other official sources in the public affairs office of the Navy Department at the Pentagon confirm that this powerful armada is scheduled to arrive off the coast of Iran on or around October 21.
“This is very serious,” said Ray McGovern, a former CIA threat-assessment analyst who got early word of the Navy officers’ complaints about the sudden deployment orders. (McGovern, a twenty-seven-year veteran of the CIA, resigned in 2002 in protest over what he said were Bush Administration pressures to exaggerate the threat posed by Iraq. He and other intelligence agency critics have formed a group called Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity.) McGovern, who had first told a group of anti-Iraq War activists Sunday on the National Mall in Washington, DC, during an ongoing action called “Camp Democracy,” about his being alerted to the strike group deployment, warned, “We have about seven weeks to try and stop this next war from happening.”

David Swanson, coordinator for Camp Democracy, has written a piece in response to this news: Nuclear Winter, Global Warming, or Impeachment.